Looking to work faster? Try these handy keyboard shortcuts.
- Lock your PC – Windows Key + L
When you are away from your computer, always lock it for security purposes. Just hit Windows Key plus L.
- Highlight Text – Shift + Arrow
Hold down the Shift key as you move the cursor with the arrow keys. If you also hold down Ctrl, you can highlight whole words rather than individual characters.
- Thesaurus Lookup in Word – Shift + F7
Highlight the word to look up then hit Shift plus F7 to show a comprehensive list of related terms in a window on the right side of the screen.
- Bookmark a Webpage – Ctrl + D
Hit Ctrl plus D in your browser to pop up a dialog box to bookmark the current page, edit the name, and even select the folder to store it in.
- Back in Web Browser – Alt + Left Arrow
Hit Alt plus Left Arrow to go back in your browser and Alt plus Right Arrow to go forward.
- Restore Closed Browser Tab – Ctrl + Shift + T
Hit Ctrl plus Shift plus T in any of the major Windows web browsers to restore the last tab you closed.
- Send an Email – Alt + S/Ctrl + Enter
Hit Alt plus S to send your email in Outlook or other desktop mail clients. Hit Ctrl plus Enter when using Gmail.
- Close Any Windows App – Alt + F4
Close any Windows program (modern and desktop) with Alt plus F4. Ctrl plus W closes desktop applications only.
- Minimize All Windows – Windows Key + M
Hit Windows Key plus M to minimize all of your windows so you can see everything on your desktop.
- Windows Snap – Windows Key + Arrow
Hit Windows Key then Left Arrow to snap a window to the left side of the screen or Windows Key then Right Arrow to snap it to the right.